In Colorado, where recreational dagga is legal, a class was temporarily disrupted for a group of students after one of them brought a gravity bong to school and it released smoke in a classroom. The haze placed Adams City High School on a modified lock down that was quickly lifted.
The school released a statement on the grievous threat to its students safety:
“As a precautionary measure, our students were placed on a modified lock down to limit movement throughout the school,” the school said in a statement, adding that all students who had been near the device were examined by medical personnel.
“As always, students’ safety is our number one priority,” it said. “All students were fine and the school is resuming business as usual.”
The school said it was working with the proper authorities to resolve the issue, and that it would provide more information when available. It did not give details on the student who brought the bong to class, nor whether disciplinary steps will be taken against the student.
A gravity bong, you’ll surely recall, requires a sizable amount of water and a vessel in which to carry it — the kitchen sink is especially fun if your parents aren’t home, but a bucket will do in a pinch. Even if we assume that the student built himself a portable version, it’s hard to imagine how it could have somehow accidentally released its payload, as the language in the Post’s reporting implies. As far as smoking goes, hitting a gravity bong is a pretty elaborate process.
What probably happened: The student, dizzy with anticipation for the weekend and the adrenaline that comes from living in a state where you’ll be able to toke up without fear of punishment in a few years when you turn 21 as long as it isn’t repealed before then, hit the bong in class.
Police investigation continues.